Monday, December 22, 2008

Skiing in Vail, CO

Jon, his mom (Sandy), and I hopped a plane for a little bit of skiing in Vail, CO. Vail is special to Jon and I in the first place as that was the place he proposed (ahhhh....memories). Vail is especially special to Jon because he is a natural born skier. Get him to Vail and all you will see is a cloud of snow trailing behind him as he cruises down a black (hard) or double-black (really hard) diamond mountainside. I on the other hand, preferred the safe and cautious approach. That is ski five feet.....stop.....ski five feet.....fall.....cry......fall again.....lose a ski....ski five feet....etc. No, actually I didn't do too bad and I think Jon was pleased with my skills. I am DEFINITELY excited to go back again soon. The Village Square is too damn cute for words and the skiing is killer (beyond the bitter cold we faced which is not typical). I was thrilled to get to know Jon's mom in a manner beyond a dinner here and a dinner there. We really had a chance to learn a lot about each other and I think it was good for everyone involved. This is Jon's "I'm so excited I am going to pee on myself" face. We had just gotten to our hotel and weren't even going to go skiing until the next day. Still, he was as enthusiastic as ever! Jon gearing up for our first day of skiing. He was like a kid in a candy store. I on the other hand was very nervous at this point.
Sandy doing the same....
Me....looking like I put on 50 lbs. This is right before the ski lift opened and I was scared, scared, scared!
The first night out we went to dinner. The Village is decorated with Christmas lights, trees, wreaths, etc. I just loved it. Here is Jon and I at one of the Christmas trees.
Thank God my snow pants are black and you cannot see the unfortunate crotch taco the suspenders gave me.
Me at the top of Eagle's Nest. It was cloudy this particular day, but wow, even so it is such beautiful scenery.
Sandy and I
The Ninja Warrior with a look of fierce determination after being told a hamburger, fries, and Gatorade cost $25. Say what?
Jon and his suspenders. We both learned what it will be like when we are 65 and only suspenders will keep our pants from dropping below our knees.
Sandy getting ready for another day of skiing.
Our group photo.....ohhhhhhhh!
Me modeling my brand new Vail shirt. Actually, Sandy bought it for me for Christmas.
Sandy eating an onion ring.
Me devouring an onion ring. Skiing + Cold Weather = Hungry Keithy
Jon in front of the ice skating rink. You can see snowflakes in the foreground. I am so artistic in my photographs.
Jon standing under a lamppost.
The escalator down was broken, so I snapped this puppy as Jon and his mom were coming down the stairs.
However, the escalator up worked just fine....
If you look close enough, this was the exact moment in the trip when Jon's mom realized I am certifiably insane (but in a fun way of course). If she didn't know about my penchant for goofy pictures before the trip....I guess she does now.
Jon thought it would be funny with me standing under a "One Track Mind" sign. And in fact, he was right.
Sandy and I shopping...
Shop til' I drop
I have no idea
Ignore the Chex Mix and eye in on the apron, which Jon thought I should wear in the kitchen. True, oh so true!
Me lying on my pillow. Could my nose be any bigger in this picture?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sooo jealous! Next year Greg and I get to come - ok?!? FYI, I am pissed I didn't get a damn VAIL sweatshirt so I can wear it in EVERY photo I have taken from that point on. I must say...where is the VAIL sweatshirt? I haven't seen it in a while?

A virtual perspective to "The Life O' Keith" for the 6 people who actually read this blog.