Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Years!

I wish everyone a Happy 2009 and hope that your resolutions hold out at least a week. My resolution two years ago broke the record I think for how quickly it failed. My resolution was to not make fun of strangers, but the girl on the television at Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve Bash after the ball dropped should not have been wearing that yellow hat, with a pink scarf and I felt it was my place to say it out loud. Oops, resolution failed in 37 seconds. While 2008 saw some big changes in my life, 2009 promises to bring the beginning of the biggest and best changes.
  • One - I turn 30 this year! Seriously, where does the time go? As Truvy (Dolly Parton) says in my favorite movie of all time, Steel Magnolias...."time marches on and sooner or later you realize it is marching across your face!" 30 is going to find me with much less hair than 20 did, a few more wrinkles, and definitely a few more lbs. around the mid-section. One thing that 30 brings me that 20 did not is the knowledge to understand how insignificant these things are in the big picture of my life. Which brings me to number two...
  • Two - I am getting married, hitched, partnered, committed, whatever you want to call it. So we are two men and it isn't legal in the State of MN, who cares? We don't care about the piece of paper, after all it is all the hard work and commitment that makes a marriage, not a piece of paper. We just want a fair shake at love like the rest of the world. Jon and I aren't activists in general, but this is a way for us to show the world that our relationship should be taken as serious as anyone elses. Jon enriches my life in so many ways and it pains me to think that somebody wouldn't want to know him for example just because he wants to commit himself to me, another guy. Despite the haters of the world, Jon and I are thrilled to begin a life together!!
  • Three - My first REAL vacation....and to Mexico nonetheless. Granted, it is my honeymoon, but I have never taken a full week, dished out as much money as I have for one single vacation. Me gusta daiquiris y siestas? Si, si!

It is my hope that 2009 brings my family and friends health, love, and happiness. Please be safe and have a Happy New Year!!

No comments:

A virtual perspective to "The Life O' Keith" for the 6 people who actually read this blog.